Cover photo: Mary Carter
Our #1 goal in Town of Colonial Beach is for people to remain safe and healthy during the pandemic that has swept the globe. To that end, a number of scheduled events have been canceled or postponed. New guidelines call for sheltering-in-place. When the time is right, we’ll be here waiting for you to come back and visit. We will continually update our Events calendar and the BUSINESS ANNOUNCEMENTS AT THE END OF THIS POST with any changes, as we are notified of them. Check back often!
Get outside! CDC recommends limiting close contact with others as much as possible, keeping a distance of at least 6 feet. The more ventilated an area, the lower the risk of transmission.
Find your own little spot on the beachor go on a nature walk. Search for fossils, shark teeth, and sea glass.
- Boating and fishing Town of Colonial Beach, home to nearly a dozen marinas, is surrounded by water: Potomac River on the beachside and Monroe Bay on the bayside–and it’s only 35 miles from the Chesapeake Bay.
Grab some fishing poles, fill a cooler and hit the water!Note: recreational boating is now prohibited during the pandemic.
- Support a local business (get take-out, wear a t-shirt) and post a photo of you doing so!
- Order take-out Nearly all restaurants in Colonial Beach offer take-out as an option. So you can still enjoy your favorite meals in the comfort of your own home. Beach Grub is available for local deliveries from restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies and other open retailers.
- Participate in Virginia for Restaurant Lovers Takeout Week, March 30-April 5, 2020, supporting restaurants that offer takeout, curbside pick-up, and no-contact delivery. Order takeout, delivery, or curbside pickup, then show your support by sharing a post or photo and use the hashtag #VirginiaEatsLocal.
- Post a positive review online for your favorite business.
- Join a gym or yoga studio and participate in online classes.
- Food trucks are another option. Look for them on the downtown beach/boardwalk area and on the Point.
- Gift cards Even if you can’t get to your favorite restaurant right now, consider purchasing a gift card to help them–and be ready to go when you are able to visit.
- Take advantage of any specials or promotions that local merchants are offering, which will help support them during these lean times.
- Happy Hour at home Purchase a bottle of wine or a growler of beer for enjoyment at home.
Work from (someone else’s) Home If your boss instructed you to work from home, why not make it a working vacation and set up shop in a local inn, B&B or beach cottage vacation rental.Note: guidelines now prohibit unneccessary travel.
- Open spaces Some businesses, including local historic sites, where you can visit yet still keep the recommended distance.
- Merchandise If you’ve been wanting a branded t-shirt, hat, mug from your favorite business or photographer, now would be a great time to buy it.
- Find a new hobby Town of Colonial Beach is a beautiful and picturesque locale. Now that you have the time, take up photography and learn how to use that new camera phone, snapping photos of our gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, wildlife and architecture. Or grab your binoculars and go birdwatching, catching glimpses of returning osprey, bald eagles, and other birds.
- Go on a self-guided mural and street art or architecture walking or golf cart driving tour.
- Watersports Soon it will be warm enough for kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming, and other water recreation.
- Plan for summer Preventative measures being taken now can help curb coronavirus transmission and get us back to normal sooner. Get ready for your summer visit to the beach by taking the virtual tour on our home page, researching places to stay, eat and patronize, and reading blog posts.
Who’s open/closed: This list will be continually updated. Call the business to confirm they are open before venturing out.
- Beach Grub: available for grocery, pharmacy and restaurant pickup and delivery.
- Colonial Beach Brewing: Take out only. Open Wednesday-Sunday, 2-6 pm.
- Colonial Beach Yacht Center: marine store and gas dock available by appointment only through April 9th. Marina open for slipholders and their guests.
- Custom Cartz
- Denson’s Grocer and R&B Oyster Bar: limited menu available for Carryout or Curbside Pickup; to lessen ‘Wait Time’ please order through email@example.com
- Dockside Restaurant & Tiki Bar: reduced hours for pickup and delivery only. Call ahead 804-224-8726
- Hall’s Supermarket
- Hancho’s Hibachi Box
- Hunan Diner: carry out only until further notice.
- Ice Cream Hut
- Ingleside Plantation Winery: delivery and carry out only
- Ledo Pizza: open 7 days a week from 11 am-9 pm. Contact free ordering by ordering online at order.ledopizza.com
- Lenny’s Restaurant: carry out and delivery until further notice. Stop by the window or call your order in 804-224-9675
- Lighthouse: Opening up for carryout and delivery. Call 804-224-7580 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order
- McDonalds: 6 am-10 pm until further notice, Drive-Thru ONLY.
- Rankin’s Hardware
- Suki the Cuisine: open for take-out.
- Shady Lane Seafood
- Stepps Harbor View Marina
- The Boathouse Marina: by appointment only
- The Tides Inn Market: delivery only.
- Westmoreland State Park
- Willey’s Road Stove: pick up or delivery; credit cards only, must pre-order online: https://willeysbbq.square.site/
- Wilkerson’s Seafood Restaurant: Open for curbside Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. Call 804-224-7117 to place an order.
- American Legion Post 148
- Bryce Hall, Marriage Officiant
- Colonial Beach Discount
- Colonial Beach Performing Arts Association
- Colonial Beach Yoga Collective: closed until 3/30.
- Colonial Buzz
- Colonial Gardens
- Colonial Beach Moose Lodge
- Fraternal Order of Eagles
- Hallmark Tattoo
- Harbor View RV & Camping Resort: delayed season re-opening
- High Tides on the Potomac and Black Pearl Tiki Bar: delayed season re-opening
- Julie’s Coffeehouse
- Monroe Bay Campground
- Peddler’s Market
- River Gym
- Riverboat on the Potomac
- Southern Bella Salon
- St. Peter’s Episcopal Thrift Shop